With the recent mild winters, rats are able breed for longer, and reports are up by 2000 per year compared to three years ago.
Residents of Wensley and Page Hall organised a public meeting following a population explosion in woods near Hinde House Lane. The Council is taking action on the problem. Ellesmere Green has always had difficulties, as regular bird feeding has encouraged rats to set up home there. Sightings in Abbeyfield Park, Osgthorpe Park and gardens across Burngreave are also on the increase.
Residents can help keep the population down by doing the following:
• Only feed birds using bird feeders
• Cover up water butts and remove standing water
• Repair any broken drain covers
• Get rid of garden rubbish quickly
• Clean up after your pets
• Put your compost bid on a hard base
For free rat treatment contact the Council on 203 7410 or 203 7411.