What are academies?
• Schools that become academies leave the control of the Local Authority
• Funding is cut from the Local Authority and paid to the Academy instead. This is to cover the cost of services no longer provided by the Local Authority – e.g. supply teachers, music services or educational advice and support.
• Academies control their own budgets and can purchase these services back from the Local Authority or elsewhere
• Academies can alter their admissions policy, the length of the term or the school day, and the pay and conditions of their staff
• Academies must have at least two parent Governors