Aman Ali campaign

Aman Ali

Story: Aman Ali

I am from Afghanistan and have been living in Sheffield for five years. I fled to England after my mother and father were killed by warring factions in Afghanistan. My brothers had already been captured and killed by the Taliban and though I narrowly escaped with my life, my claim for asylum was refused. Left with no financial support I was forced to work illegally. While repairing a roof, I fell and injured my upper and lower spine. I am paraplegic after this accident at work and have residual spasticity in my right leg.

My biggest fear is deportation. “Afghanistan's human rights record remains poor” according to the latest US state department report and only 5% of 2 million disabled people receive any support. My asylum application has been refused but my case needs to be reconsidered. I made a fresh claim in December 2007 but have heard nothing from the Home Office.

My status means I have had limited and insecure access to health and social care. I need your support to stay in safety and to make as full a recovery as is possible. As an ethnic Hazara and a disabled person I would face persecution and destitution in Afghanistan. Because of my family history I fear imprisonment or death.

Last year 1,145 people were deported to Afghanistan from Britain.

News of Aman’s campaign can be found in this section of the Messenger website.

Coverage of Aman's case in the Burngreave Messenger:

Writing for a community newspaper

Northern general drop £95000 bill

Campaign for Aman Ali

Immigration updates

http://freemovement.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/guidance-published-on-re-entry-ba n/

<< | Up | >>

Print version

Any views and opinions expressed in the Community section of the website are those of the authors and managers of the relevant section, and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the Burngreave Messenger Ltd. and its Editorial Team.

The content on this page was added to the website by Lisa Swift on 2008-04-20 18:08:45.
The content of the page was last modified by Lisa Swift on 2008-05-06 23:23:45.

Follow us on Twitter @TheBMessenger

All content is copyright © Burngreave Messenger Ltd. or its voluntary contributors, unless otherwise stated, not to be reproduced without permission. If you have any comments, or are interested in contributing to the Messenger and getting involved, please contact us.

Burngreave Messenger Ltd. Abbeyfield Park House, Abbeyfield Road, Sheffield S4 7AT.
Telephone: 0114 242 0564. Email: mail@burngreavemessenger.org
Company Limited by Guarantee: 04642734
Registered Charity: 1130836

The Burngreave Messenger is a community newspaper with editorial independence, funded by the Big Lottery, Foyle Foundation, Trusthouse Charitable Foundation, the Garfield Weston Foundation, the Scurrah Wainwright Charity, local residents and our advertisers.

Help the Messenger with a donation