Story by Saira Nadeem
Fibromyalgia is a long term condition causing pain all over the body. It is accompanied by increased sensitivity to pain, muscle stiffness and fatigue. Living with fibromyalgia and chronic pain may be difficult to balance in your everyday life. This is a condition suffered by many people attending our chronic pain group and some of the information we share can be applied to a lot of pain or fatigue conditions. Useful Tips
• Exercise – you may not be able to exercise as much as you would like to due to the pain and fatigue. Seek without stressing your body (swimming or walking) and stretching/strengthening exercises.
• Learn to pace yourself – balance periods of activity and rest. Listen to your body and learn to put yourself first. You may be used to doing things for others and end up taking on too much so learn to delegate!
• Set achievable goals – be realistic and know your limits so that you don’t overdo things. Ensure that you build relaxation into your day too.
• Keep a journal – record your activities, mealtimes, sleeping patterns and how you feel every day. This may help you to identify any causes of flare ups.
• Ask for help – don’t be afraid to ask for help, people are usually happy to help, they just need to know that you may need their help!
Further support – Sheffield M.E. and Fibromyalgia Group www.sheffieldmegroup.co.uk