Story by Graham Jones
The project to change the junctions at Scott Road and Orphanage Road with Barnsley Road and the nearby bus stops started in January, 2017.
The work was meant to be complete in the first week of September. However, these works are far from complete and a new completion date of 15th November has now been issued.
The wider works have caused inconvenience, dirt, and noise to those of us living around it and the length of time it has taken to complete this project has become a bitter joke amongst local residents. However, nobody on site seems to have been able to answer our questions. During the process Streets Ahead have failed to give updates and information, which might have helped allay some of these concerns. The website for queries is unobtainable.
The bus stop at the junction of Orphanage Road and Barnsley Road had similarly been out of use for months but no replacement temporary bus stops have been provided. One lady told me she is virtually housebound because the 97/98 bus stop near the junction has been out of use for so long.
I wrote a letter via email to Streets Ahead on 1st September but I am still awaiting a reply to these questions:
• Why is the project taking longer than planned?
• How much longer is it anticipated to take?
• Why have there been such long periods when there have been little signs of activity?
• Is there a penalty on Amey for late completion of the works?
• Have there been problems between the council and Amey which have held up the work?
• Is the bus partnership financing these works? They will apparently make very minimal improvement to bus services but are designed serve to facilitate general through traffic, thereby increasing already illegal levels of air pollution in the neighbourhood.
• Was the renewal of the pipework in the original plans?
• When will road resurfacing here take place? Will it cause the same inconveniences and dirt?
South Yorkshire transport have at least provided the following information:
Scott Road will be closed until mid-November at the junction of Barnsley Road for junction realignment work. Services 97 and 98 are to operate as follows: Towards Totley, services to operate as normal to Norwood Road then divert directly along Barnsley Road, Burngreave Road and Gower Street before resuming normal route at the roundabout with Ellesmere Road. Towards Hillsborough, services to operate as normal to Scott Road at the junction of Abbeyfield Road then divert via Abbeyfield Road, Burngreave Road and Barnsley Road before resuming normal route at the junction of Scott Road.
This ongoing fiasco means that hundreds of people in our area will be deprived of a bus service for at least two months. The lack of information from Streets Ahead has caused anxiety and frustration. Allegedly this is just for the sake of moving a bus stop fifty yards.