The Beacons Lantern Procession is back for October 2019, and local artist Patrick Amber is running lantern making workshops at Pitsmoor Adventure Playground, Abbeyfield Park House, Christ Church Pitsmoor and Burngreave Cemetery Chapel.
For three Thursdays starting 19th September, Patrick will bring his workshops to Pitsmoor Adventure Playgound. They start at 3.15pm – 6.15pm and take place on the 19th and 26th September and on 3rd October. Materials are free
Lantern making is not just for kids. Everyone can join Burngreave Clean Air Campaign to help make a wonderful goldfinch lantern at Abbeyfield Park House 2pm – 5pm on Saturday 21st and 28th September and then at Chist Church Pitsmoor on Saturday 5th October. Graham Jones of Burngreave Clean Air Campaign says:
“The goldfinch is an emblem of endurance, fruitfulness, and persistence, just what a clean air campaign needs! It is also one of our best loved local birds.”
The workshops keep on coming, and further sessions will be held at Burngreve Cemetery Chapel 1pm – 4pm on Sunday 22nd and 29th September and Sunday 6th October.
Patrick has already delivered successful sessions with St Catherine’s Scouts and with children at the Chistchuch Youth Club. Food themed lanterns were also made at Open Kitchen Social Club.
“The first workshop with St. Catherine’s scouts went really well. A turtle, owl, bird and catfish lanterns are well underway.”
“From one boy’s drawing of a dog at Christchurch Youth Club, we started making a lantern dog’s head. We’ll see if we can get the mouth, ears and eyes moving on it.”
The Beacons Lantern Procession takes place Saturday 12th October 5.45pm – 7pm at Parkwood Springs. Meet on the field by the car park at Cookswood Road/Shirecliffe Road. Food and drink will be available.
Lantern making for kids at Pitsmoor Adventure Playground
- 3.15pm – 6.15pm Thursday 19th and Thursday 28th September
- 3.15pm – 6.15pm Thursday 3rd October
- Corner Of Melrose Road/Burngreave Street, Sheffield
Make a goldfinch lantern with Burngreave Clean Air Campaign
- 2pm – 5pm Saturday 21st and Saturday 28th September at Abbeyfield Park House, Abbeyfield Park Road, Sheffield, S4 7AT.
- 2pm – 5pm Saturday 5th October at Christ Church Pitsmoor, Pitsmoor Road, Sheffield S3 9AQ.
Lantern making at Burngreave Cemetery Chapel
- 1pm – 4pm Sunday 22nd September and Sunday 29th September
- 1pm – 4pm Sunday 6th October
- Pedestrian access is from Melrose Road which runs off Burngreave Road.