near junction with Pitsmoor Road
Fingers and Thumbs are running a series of sign language sessions at the Welcome Centre starting on Tuesday 26th April 1pm – 2pm. The group is inclusive for beginners to more extensive signers, children with more typical development or special needs.
We will read a book, sing songs and play games with signs, so that we can have fun and learn at the same time. Then we will have a snack and time to play, chat and ask for specific signs you need. Most of the signs we use are makaton based, with occasional BSL (British sign language) signs.
The sessions are best suited to children who aren’t speaking yet or have limited spoken abilities to help them communicate, reduce frustration and build their vocabulary. You are welcome to bring babies, but they are unlikely to sign back before 6-9 months, so the earlier you come the more patience and commitment you need to have! We also welcome children with delayed speech, who are older than those at your typical singing and signing group.
What do we do?
- Have fun and learn at the same time.
- Read a book
- Sing songs
- Play games with signs
- Have a snack and time to play, chat and ask for specific signs you need.
- Most of the signs we use are Makaton based, with occasional BSL (British sign language).
Who should come?
- Complete beginners to more extensive signers
- Children with more typical development or special needs
- Professionals, such as teaching assistants or nursery staff
How to get here:
- The Welcome Centre is a church hall for Christchurch. It is on the junction of Pitsmoor Road and Nottingham Street, but the entrance is on Nottingham Street.
- By car, it should be easy to find free on street parking nearby.
- By bus, you can catch buses from town numbers 3, 3a, 83 and 83a stop outside. There are other buses that stop a 5 minute walk away including 1, 2, 76 and 88, get off at the Minna Road stop and on foot you can cut through Christchurch Road.