Men in Sheffield are being given the opportunity to discover or re-kindle a love for sport and physical activity with the new Sporting Chance project which launched recently in the city. The project is being run by Volunteering Matters who manage more than 180 volunteering programmes across the country, engaging over 30,000 volunteers along the way.
Sporting Chance is running in North Sheffield and Woodhouse, and aims to reach men who are 50+ and who are wanting in increase their physical activity, make new friends and widen their social circles, getting fitter and having fun at the same time. Men are welcome to attend from all areas of the city.
The project is supported by The Peoples Postcode Lottery and currently runs several sessions in community settings such as boxing based circuits, cook and eat sessions, chair based exercise and games groups, with multi sports sessions in the planning too. Most sessions include an hours activity followed by an hours social time with quizzes, games, refreshments and a chat. We are also looking for men who might like to volunteer for the project too, please get in touch if you would like to be involved. Sessions are run by qualified instructors and sessions currently running include;
- Woodhouse Library S13 Thurs 10-12, Chair based exercise,quizzes, games.
- Longley 4G Community Centre S5 Mon 1-3 Boxing Based circuits for every ability .
- Longley 4G community Centre- starts 15th Aug for 6 weeks, FREE cook and eat session ( bookable)
- Stubbin Community Centre Fairthorn Rd S5 Tues 1-3, table top games, cards, dominoes , indoor curling and Boccia ( indoor bowls)
- Firth Park-Brushes Community Centre, West Quadrant- Chair based exercise- Starts 31st Aug.
- Shiregreen Neighbourhood Centre S5 Chair based exercise- Weds 1.30-3.30- Starts 13th Sept.
- Verdon St Rec- Burngreave, Multisports, Mondays 10-12 starting on Sept 11th.
You can contact Jamie Crowther, Project Lead on 07841 430165 or Lisa Harman Project coordinator on 0784143 0171 for more information.