The Messenger wouldn’t exist without its volunteers. They are involved in all parts of running a community newspaper, from reporting to office admin. People volunteer for us for all kinds of reasons, from building their confidence and making new friends, to developing new skills and increasing their job prospects.
Volunteering is flexible, with opportunities during the day, evening or weekends … you can take on as much as you have time for.
We provide one-to-one support and training for volunteers, and can help you along every step of your journey with us. Our volunteers gain skills and valuable experience by being involved, and they make the Messenger a great community newspaper.
How you can volunteer
- Reporting and writing – find out what’s happening in the area and report on events and issues
- Interviews – talk to people and write their story
- Photography – photograph local people, events and activities
- Editing and proofreading – make stories fit on pages by taking out words or rewriting, and checking the Messenger for mistakes before it goes to print
- Website – add content to the website
Residents can also be involved by:
- Delivering the Messenger
- Helping us check delivery
- Keeping us up to date about issues and activities in your area
- Writing a letter
Please note that we can only offer volunteering opportunities to members of the Burngreave community
If you would like to get involved contact us by:
Telephone: (0114) 242 0564
Abbeyfield Park House,
Alternatively you can fill out this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.